Thursday, November 27, 2008

2009 MTB Race Team Decision

Since many of us are interesting in racing next year, I thought it would be a good idea to start a blog on the various teams that we might consider.

Obviously, we are going to be more of a recreational racer type, than hard core racers who have oodles of time to train.

Maybe those interested can each research the possible teams and then we can make decisions from there.  I am thinking that we all probably want to be on the same team, but if opinions differ on that then let's talk about that too.

The teams that I have heard about so far are:  Precision (through Dave Smith and BTT Andy), RBS, and Greyhounds.  These teams allow recreational racers.  I am sure there are others:  TrailsEdge, KLM, American Cycle & Fitness, Team Sandbag, Rochester Mills??

Anyway, I think we need to look at the different qualities we want in a team:  

1. location:  should the shop be close to Rochester Hills? I personally think so; I have been loyal to RBS, but I know that Dave is non-plussed by them and I understand why.  I really think the convenience factor is very important here-- nothing worse than needing a part and having to rearrange your life to find time to drive to BFE to get it.  For instance, I find KLM to be the most convenient for this since they are pretty close for everybody and are always open, including on Sundays.
2. other people on the team or from the shop that can give us the inside scoop  
3.  bike and kit discount
4. racing jersey and kit purchase requirements (some of the more casual riders from our group are not likely to want to shell out big $$$$ for kit that they will only occasionally wear); also we should make sure that the kit is good stuff, especially since we will be expected to wear it to lots of events
5. cost to join
6. other perks:  nutrition and training regimes, training classes, organized group rides (from what I read, the best way to get faster and better is to ride with people that are faster and better than oneself).

Those are my thoughts for now.  Please post up to let me know your thoughts on other criteria to examine in reviewing the teams and please post up other teams that we should consider.

3 comments:

Beatthetrain said...

This is a hot topic that I consider myself an authority being kicked off some of the best teams in SE Michigan. Seriously though I have only been on three and two in the last two seasons.
I race on a team for highly personal reasons. Basically, I find myself more committed to training and showing up to races. I also take on a different persona when I approach my races. I call it my "Race Face". This also is a personal motivator for me to have an attitude before and during a race. That way I can party happily after I accomplish my finish. I am not trying to disuade anyone from racing on a team. I just want the reader to identify the need to be on a team and go from there. All the teams are good. I have friends on all of them mentioned. Most of all its really (like most things in life) what you make it. We're not talking about signing bonuses and team percs. Most teams charge about the same as far as kits and fees. They all get comparable wholesale discounts too. So don't bother doing it for the deals.
I happened to race with a pretty intense team last year. Everyone had some strong personal goals in mind. I am one of the slower guys on the team so when I got the chance to ride with those guys at the Poto or Tree Farm it always challenged me and brought my levels up. Unless they kick me off I am looking forward to riding with them again in 09.
Hope that helps!

Andy

Dave Smith said...

John - While you were blogging in your pjs we were preparing for battle and attacking the trail.

Dave Smith said...

Good post - Some initial thoughts,

Location - Close to home needed? Maybe - We do a lot of the work ourselves and when we want parts none of us are going to be swayed by a 10% discount off retail to buy local. Too crafty internet users for that. If it is a meaningful discount ( I agree with Andy this is not the reason to join a team) most likely it will be a specific item we want that will need to be ordered and may be able to drop ship to our house. For service items we can't or don't want to do ourselves would be the issue there for me. KLM has been good helping me with this.

For me personally right now I am pretty focused and for as much as this old body will give I am feeling more than recreational about my approach to this. I agree that riding with faster guys is key to going faster. That makes the case of wanting to get with a group that has guys you already know. I am willing to drive a bit to hit other venues and am getting a bit board with the stony,bald mt, Addison Loops.

I'm personally not too interested in the classes etc component with nutrition, I'm not against it and if available I'd be willing to check it out.

From all the team gear I've seen it's all pretty cool, the real factor is what it represents to you personally when you wear it and that comes from being a part of a biking community.

This is cool that we are interested in getting more serious about this and making a commitment to race. We always have fun together & as we know "Every thing goes better with bikes".

Dave